Facts about the Home Health United – Meals On Wheels Program
Meals On Wheels (MOW) is a program that supplies noon-time meals 7 days a week, 365 days a year to individuals in need in the city limits of Madison, Middleton, Monona and Sun Prairie. The program delivered approximately 76,180 meals in 2011.
The meals are prepared fresh daily by Market Street Diner and Bakery in Sun Prairie and are delivered by volunteers. There is a monthly menu on our website here.
The meals can be prepared for special diets such as:
The meals come in microwavable containers. Each meal includes a: protein, starch, vegetable, salad, bread item, dessert, and carton of milk or juice. The meal also comes with a free newspaper Monday – Saturday.
The cost is $6.70 per meal. We bill recipients monthly for the meals they receive. If the cost of the meals is a financial hardship, there is funding available through Dane County (for patients over 65) and the United Way (for patients under 60) for residents of Madison, Middleton and Monona. At this time Sun Prairie is private pay only.
Criteria to receive Meals On Wheels
- The recipient needs to be "homebound" and/or unable to cook for him/herself, except for private pay individuals.
- The recipient needs to be home when the meals arrive.
Benefits of the Meals On Wheels program
- The recipient receives a nutritious meal for the day.
- The recipient can purchase frozen meals to have on-hand for dinners or when they won’t be home to receive the noontime meal.
- The recipient receives a "safety check" to ensure they are responsive and feeling well.
To refer someone to Meals On Wheels
- Give the recipient the brochure and have them call for themselves. The phone number is on the second page of the brochure.
- Call the referral in directly to our Meals On Wheels staff. The phone number is 608-276-7598. After the referral is placed MOW staff will call the recipient directly to confirm delivery.
Please have the following information available before you call:
- Recipient’s name, current address and phone number.
- Emergency contact name and phone number.
- Ordering/attending physician name and phone number.
- Special diet (if needed).
- Recipient medical condition(s).
Download a printable version – Meals On Wheels Referral Info