Seat Lift Mechanism Documentation Needs (ACA, Face to Face visit required)
The following qualification criteria need to be documented in the patients’ medical record notes to qualify for the prescribed equipment. Note: Face to face and justification notes are valid for six months.
All of the following need to be sufficiently documented to support the need for the prescribed equipment.
- Explain the patient’s severe arthritis of the hip or knee, or severe neuromuscular disease.
- Explain why the patient is completely incapable of standing up from a regular armchair in their home.
- Explain how the patient has the ability to ambulate once standing.
- Explain the seat lift mechanism is part of the physician’s course of treatment, and how it is prescribed to effect improvement, or arrest or retard deterioration in the patient’s condition.
- Document the therapeutic modalities (physical therapy, medication, etc.) that have been tried and failed to enable the patient to transfer from a chair to a standing position
Diagnosis: See LCD (Local coverage determination) at NGSMedicare.com for any additional qualifying information questions, diagnosis codes and descriptions
Medicare approved detailed equipment descriptions for seat lift mechanism
Seat lift Mechanism incorporated lift chair, (HCPC-E0627)
Patient notes/justification – Must be documented using your normal dictation process. Letter of medical necessity, notes wrote on letter head or prescriptions are not valid.
Prescription/order requirements – Must contain Patient’s name, date of the order and Start date, detailed equipment description (See above), Physician’s NPI (national provider number), signature of the ordering physician and a signature date.