Walker documentation needs
The following qualification criteria need to be documented in the patients’ medical record notes to qualify for the prescribed equipment. Note: Justification notes are valid for six months.
Standard walker: All of the following need to be sufficiently documented to support the need for the prescribed equipment.
- Explain the patient’s mobility limitation that significantly impairs (HIS or Her) ability to participate in one or more mobility-related activities of daily living (MRADL) in the home.
- Explain why the patient is able to safely use a walker.
- Explain how the patient’s functional mobility deficit will be sufficiently resolved by the use of a walker.
Heavy Duty walker, document the above information and the following.
- Document the patient’s weight. Note: the patient must weigh 300lbs or more to qualify.
Seat for a walker, document the above information and the following
- Explain why the patient needs a seat for a walker.
- Example: The patient cannot ambulate from room to room without resting
Standard walker accessories
- Explain why the patient needs the accessory.
Diagnosis: See LCD (Local coverage determination) at CGSMedicare.com for any additional qualifying information questions, diagnosis codes and descriptions
Medicare approved detailed equipment descriptions for walkers and attachments
|Walker – folding, adjustable youth (4’4″-5’7″), (HCPC) E0135|
|Walker -folding, adjustable, adult (5’4″-6’6″), (HCPC) E0135|
|Walker heavy duty folding, without wheels, weight over 300 lbs., (HCPC) E0148|
|Walker – folding, wheeled, adjustable youth (4’4″-5’7″), (HCPC) E0143|
|Walker -folding, wheeled, adjustable, adult (5’4″-6’6″), (HCPC) E0143|
|Walker heavy duty folding, wheeled, weight over 300 lbs. , (HCPC) E0148|
|Seat attachment for walker, (HCPC) E0156|
|Walker, folding, adjustable, Hemi (side stepper) , (HCPC) E0135|
|Platform attachment for walker, (HCPC) E0154|
|Wheel attachment for walker, (HCPC) E0155|
Patient notes/justification – Must be documented using your normal dictation process. Letter of medical necessity, notes wrote on letterhead or prescriptions are not valid.
Prescription/order requirements– Must contain Patient’s name, date of the order and Start date, detailed equipment description (See above), signature of the ordering physician and a signature date.